Wednesday 24 July 2013

Running in Macritchie

Whenever I'm at macritchie, I will ask myself: southern or northern route, ie clockwise or anti clockwise. Northern route typically starts from the visitor centre towards the kayaking shed, southern route typically runs towards zig zag bridge. Does it make a difference? You bet!

For those who don't run the complete loop (eg me!), choosing north or south depends alot on which terrain is more appealing to me on that day. Northern route is generally more hilly, with more upslope on the way in and downslope after the turnaround. This is good if I want to push myself in the first half and relax in the 2nd. The southern route, although has its own fair share of slopes, seems more flat generally. It also has the option of running along the flat boardwalk, though it's longer. The southern route also has that treacherous stretch of rocks and uneven terrain after the fitness corner, something that I will avoid if possible, thus I will turnaround at the fitness corner, making the run less than 6km. Thus I will choose the northern route if I intend to do more than that.



Timing is another factor. Not how fast I run (then again it does affect) but rather what time of the day I run. As you know in the trails it gets dark after 640pm thereabouts, so committing yourself to the southern route may mean running in the dark after some time (unless you run fast enough to get out before that happens). Northern route, on the other hand, allows you to "escape" onto Lornie Road with street lamps to light your way. And you don't feel so alone (and spooked up) with all the vehicles whizzing you by. Then again, running the southern route with the creepy prospect of running in the dark does have its powerful motivation to keep you running, and running fast!

For those who run the complete route (eg me, some years ago!), terrain isn't a big factor as you will encounter all of it sooner or later. If there's a prospect of running in the dark, I will choose the northern route so I can escape onto Lornie road later in the run. Then there's the toilet factor; there's only 1 toilet in the route. It's about 4km (northern route) and 6km (southern route). At which point would I want to stop for toilet/water break? Southern route also gives you the high of downslope running at the end of your 10.5km and allows you to stop and rest at the scenic kayak pontoon.

The kayak pontoon is my favourite place to do a pre/post run stretch or static exercises, provided there aren't too many kayakers walking in and out with their kayaks. 

So much to consider over just 2 choices. Some people think running is a brainless sport, just put one foot infront of the other and repeat many times. They are so obviously wrong.



Sparkling waters of Macritchie Reservoir. 


Macritchie trivia. Many Singaporeans know that the Lim Bo Seng memorial is at the esplanade, but do you know that his grave is here in Macritchie? On top of a little hill. There is also an old abandoned Japanese war shrine located somewhere deep within the forest, hopefully someone will bring me there one day. 



(This post was adapted from my post in acollectionofrunningstories.blog.com) 

No comments:

Post a Comment